Aging & Health A to Z
Lifestyle & Management
Your healthcare professional will help you decide how your arrhythmia can best be managed. Lifestyle changes can help control troublesome symptoms and help prevent an arrhythmia from getting worse.
- Losing weight if you are overweight
- Quitting smoking
- Decreasing your intake of caffeine or alcohol
- Stopping drug abuse
- Discontinuing certain over-the-counter medications, such as decongestants, and certain herbal remedies, such as cola nut, ephedra, or guarana.
Certain medications can also cause arrhythmias. If you are taking these medications, notify your healthcare provider if you have arrhythmia symptoms:
- Anticonvulsants (used to treat seizures or epilepsy)
- Diuretics (water pills)
- Migraine medications
- Antiviral medications (including medications used to treat HIV/AIDS).
Updated: March 2012
Posted: March 2012