Aging & Health A to Z
Lifestyle & Management
Treatment can help you control your bowels. If you still have some trouble with fecal incontinence after treatment, there are many strategies that can help further. These include:
- Using the toilet right before leaving home.
- Carrying a small package of baby wipes, a change of clothes, and a plastic bag in your purse or a tote bag when away from home.
- Locating a public restroom when you go out, so you can get to it quickly if needed.
- Wearing disposable underpants when away from home and in bed, if necessary. Disposable underpants are sold at most drug stores.
- Asking your healthcare provider about fecal deodorants—pills that can lessen the smell of stool and gas.
- Wearing pants and other clothes that can be removed easily and quickly.
- Getting a portable toilet or commode to put near your bed at night.
- Putting washable or disposable pads on the bed.
Updated: January 2017
Posted: March 2012