Aging & Health A to Z
Coronary Artery Disease, Angina
Lifestyle & Management
The main steps to preventing and managing coronary artery disease and its complications are:
- Eating a balanced, heart healthy diet. More fruits and vegetables and less red meat and processed food.
- Exercising regularly (such as walking)
- Quitting smoking, if you smoke
- Learning to manage stress with calming techniques and mindfulness
A heart healthy diet means:
- Losing weight if you need to
- Lowering high cholesterol by limiting fat intake, especially saturated fats
- Maintaining a balance between “good” HDL and “bad” LDL cholesterol
Click here to go to the Prevention section, which provides easy-to-follow information on living a heart-healthy lifestyle.
Updated: November 2016
Posted: March 2012