Aging & Health A to Z
Diagnosis & Tests
The following tests may be appropriate for a stroke or TIA:
- CT scan of the head or brain MRI
- angiogram, CT angiogram, or MR angiogram
- ultrasound and Doppler studies – to check the carotid arteries in your neck
- electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG)
- heart rhythm monitoring tests to check for atrial fibrillation or other irregular heartbeat.
Your blood pressure will be checked, and lab tests will be done to look for high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, and blood clotting time. The healthcare professional will also check for disabilities, such as weakness, paralysis, problems with senses like vision, hearing, touch, and your mental function.
Updated: March 2012
Posted: March 2012