Aging & Health A to Z
Lifestyle & Management
Your health care professional may recommend the following lifestyle changes to help control your UI:
- Lose weight
- Cut back on caffeine or alcohol
- Exercise to improve your general fitness
- Quit smoking.
Take the following steps to make it easier to get to the bathroom if you have trouble with walking or your balance, or if you get up to urinate during the night:
- Install an elevated toilet seat and handrails
- Keep a nightlight on in the hallway and bathroom
- Make sure you have a clear pathway to the bathroom, and remove any loose rugs.
Updated: March 2012
Posted: March 2012