Aging & Health A to Z
Varicose Veins and Other Vein Disorders
Lifestyle & Management
Regardless of what type of vein problem you have, these simple steps can help manage your symptoms and keep your condition from becoming more serious.
- A regular walking program will help increase blood circulation in your legs.
- Don’t sit or stand for too long, and try not to sit with your legs crossed. These block the flow of blood.
- When you are sitting or lying down, keep your legs elevated above the level of your heart.
- Use anti-fatigue mats in places where you stand for longer periods, such as in front of the kitchen sink.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing that doesn’t constrict the flow of blood around your waist, legs, or groin.
- Wear well-fitting shoes with low heels.
- Lose weight (if you need to) to take extra pressure off your veins.
- A low-salt diet will help relieve swelling in your legs.
Updated: July 2017
Posted: March 2012