What to Ask: Delirium
Tools and Tips
Under recognition of delirium is a major problem. It is important to talk to your healthcare professional if you are concerned for yourself or someone you care for.
The following are questions you can ask your healthcare professional about delirium.
- What is delirium? What are its symptoms?
- How long does delirium last?
- How is delirium treated?
- Can delirium be prevented?
- What causes delirium?
- My loved one is going in to the hospital. Are there things we can do to help prevent delirium?
- My loved one is going to have surgery. Are there things we can do to help prevent delirium?
- My loved one has been (more) confused lately. Do you think they may have a delirium?
- Is there a serious health problem that is causing my loved one to be (more) confused?
- Could the medications my loved one is receiving be making them (more) confused? Can these medications be stopped or lowered?
- Could alcohol be causing my loved one to be confused?
- Are there things we can do to keep my loved one safe, now that they have a delirium?