What to Ask: Hearing Loss
Tools and Tips
Hearing loss is not a universal aspect of aging, but it is very common among older adults and increases with age. Ten percent of adults 65-75 years old, and 25% of adults older than 75 years have hearing loss.
The following are questions you can ask your healthcare professional concerning hearing loss.
- My hearing is failing. Can you check my ears and hearing?
- Do I have enough wax to need my ears cleaned? How can I do this myself?
- I’ve tried cleaning my ears and still have a problem. What do I do next?
- Who would you recommend that I see for a hearing test?
- Should I see an ear doctor first or an audiologist?
- How will I know if I really need and would benefit from a hearing aid?