Lifestyle & Management
The main steps to preventing and managing coronary artery disease and its complications are:
- Eating a balanced, heart-healthy diet. This includes more fruits and vegetables but less red meat and processed food.
- Exercising regularly (such as walking).
- Quitting smoking, if you smoke.
- Learning to manage stress with calming techniques and mindfulness.
A heart-healthy diet means:
- Losing weight if you need to.
- Lowering high cholesterol by limiting fat intake, especially saturated fats.
- Maintaining a balance between “good” HDL and “bad” LDL cholesterol.
The Prevention section provides easy-to-follow information on living a heart-healthy lifestyle.
Last Updated July 2020