You may have heard a lot recently about “coronavirus” or COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus responsible for a current global outbreak.
Tip sheet: Key Facts about the COVID-19 Vaccines
Ask the Geriatrician: The COVID-19 Vaccine
See All COVID-19 Resources
See All COVID-19 Posts on the HealthinAging Blog
COVID-19 is a disease caused by a type of coronavirus, which is a family of viruses common in humans and many different animals. Viruses in this family can cause respiratory illnesses ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. Cases of COVID-19 can be mild, but others can be more severe and occasionally deadly—especially for those living with other chronic health conditions.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) created this helpful video to give older adults and caregivers an overview of unique concerns when it comes to COVID-19 and age:
Finding Information You Can Trust
It can be challenging to find expert information you can trust when it comes to health. In addition to HealthinAging.org, we suggest relying on organizations like the following:
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)
- CDC videos in American Sign Language (ASL)
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Information on Telehealth for Patients & Families - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Información sobre telesalud para pacientes y familias - en Español