Heart Valve Problems
Signs and Symptoms
The main sign of heart valve disease is a heart murmur that your doctor may hear with a stethoscope. A heart murmur is an extra sound that can be caused by blood flowing through a narrowed or leaky valve. A heart murmur often sounds like a “whoosh” or “swish”. However, not all heart murmurs are due to heart valve problems.
If your symptoms are mild, such as mild fatigue or lightheadedness, your healthcare provider may choose to wait before treating valve problems.
More serious symptoms of heart valve problems include:
- Severe fatigue
- Shortness of breath at rest
- Chest pain, pressure, tightness, or squeezing
- Racing, fluttering, or irregular heartbeat
- Swelling in the ankles, legs, or belly
- Significant weight loss or weight gain
Last Updated July 2020