Macular Degeneration

Diagnosis & Tests

Regular Eye Exams

You may not realize that you have ARMD until you develop noticeable changes in your vision. Therefore, you should have regular eye exams. If you’re covered by Medicare, you’re entitled to a free Annual Wellness Visit. As part of this visit, your healthcare provider will check your vision.  Your healthcare provider may recommend that you see an eye specialist for further examination.

Seeing a Specialist

An eye specialist (ophthalmologist or optometrist) will use a device called an ophthalmoscope to examine your retina and macula for drusen. If the specialist suspects you have wet ARMD, she will use special equipment to scan your eye for abnormal blood vessels. She will first inject a special dye into a vein in your arm. When the dye reaches the blood vessels in the retina, it will highlight any vessels that are abnormal. The specialist can study the images of these blood vessels to determine if you have wet ARMD.


Last Updated August 2020