Diagnosis & Tests
During the first exam, the healthcare professional will:
- Check the person’s blood pressure
- Order lab tests to look for high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, and blood clotting time.
- Check for disabilities, such as weakness, paralysis; and problems with senses like vision, hearing, touch, and mental function.
The following tests may be appropriate for a stroke:
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the head or a brain MRI
- Angiograms, which show blood flow
- Echocardiogram (pictures of the heart)
- Ultrasound and Doppler studies (to check the carotid arteries in the neck)
- Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG) (measures of heart rhythyms)
- Heart rhythm monitoring for abnormal heartbeats
Last Updated March 2023
Back To Top